Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Crossing fingers and toes

Well I did find out that that bill we received was for Kale's Synagis shot. It was for the first two months. So we still have another one coming for December. I called my insurance company first and they said that they cover 90% of the cost. Which leaves us with 10%. Which normally wouldn't be an issue except that ten percent of a couple of thousand dollars a month kind of adds up.

So I called Kale's pediatrician's office last week and left a message with his doctor (who of course was on vacation) to call me back. I wanted to know if this is something he absolutely needs. I got a call today from her nurse and she said that it is something they would prefer him to continue to get and she gave me a number to call for some place called Patient Access Network Foundation who are apparently "dedicated to improving access to needed health services for insured patients who cannot afford out-of-pocket costs associated with their treatment". I'm pretty sure that would mean us.

When the nurse gave me the number, I asked her if this is something that would be based on our income. She said that she had a family who used this program last year and they were pretty wealthy so she didn't think we'd have any problems. We'll see.
I went ahead and did what I had to do online (I hate having to do things over the phone) and now I have to print the application out and then have Kale's doctor fill it out and then mail it in. I have no clue how long this is going to take! I guess I should just go ahead and call and see if I can just get it done over the phone.

I think it's pretty clear by now how much I dislike even the idea of having to wait...

No comments: