Friday, June 26, 2009

Crossing fingers

Yesterday was Kale's 2nd surgery and so far, so good! They took him around 7:30 and they were done around 9:30. The nurses brought him back to us between 10:45-11:00 and we left about an hour and a half later. A very long morning, but somehow we all survived! Maile stayed with Mike's parents which was a lifesaver--she would have been bored and miserable had she gone with us. Big thanks to them!!!

Kale looks so good right now! Dr. Scruggs came and talked to us for a good fifteen minutes after the surgery while Kale was still in recovery and answered any questions we had and did her best to explain things to us. She is very optimistic about everything and hopefully there won't be many problems with the expanders.

We got a couple of pics of us with Kale before they took him to the OR. Please excuse my hot mess self--I was going on only 4 hours of sleep from the night before (just couldn't sleep).

And here is our tough baby boy after surgery:

He was super fussy for a while--of course. And he fussed and cried a bit the first hour of us driving back home. He eventually fell asleep for a good 2.5 hours and then woke up smiling and laughing, so yay! He has always had a bad habit of rubbing and pressing on his eyes so he's learning that doing that right now isn't such a great idea. The skin around his eyelids is starting to bruise a bit, but we were already warned that would happen. Eventually it'll go away and so will the puffiness. He has an appointment in 3 weeks and we'll know then when he needs to go back to have these expanders taken out and the next size up put in (there are only 3 sizes).

We're just gonna cross our fingers these expanders will stay put and do their job in expanding his eye socket space and lids.


Love Me, Don't Eat Me. said...

Aw! I love his little pudgy face in the after photos. I'm so glad things went well. :-)

dorri said...

Glad that things went the best possible!!

Stella said...

Oh, I'm glad it went so well! I hope he's recovering quickly.