Sunday, October 18, 2009

And this little piggy....

Okay, okay. Lame title, I know. Especially considering that the swine flu is no longer being called the swine flu, but N1H1 (are you happy now, Christie???).

So the past seven days have been fun. Last Sunday, Maile started running a fever and coughing. Monday I kept her home from school and I started coughing and feeling a little under the weather. I called her and Kale's pediatrician's office and spoke to the nurse (who knows me well now) and she said it sounded like Maile had the flu and for me to just keep an eye on her fever and continue doing what I was already doing. Of course, if Kale started to run a fever or show any other symptoms, I needed to call and have him seen (their pediatrician is just trying to be super cautious with him, I guess). Monday night? I'm in the ER with Maile whose fever spiked to 104. We spent almost four hours in the waiting area along with about fifty other people. And I swear, we were all there for the same thing. I eventually just took Maile home (her fever had gone down while we were there) and took care of her myself.

Tuesday I was still feeling bad and my mom came over to help out with the kids. Maile was home again and Kale was starting to cough a little bit. I talked to Mike on the phone while he was at work and he was starting to feel sick with a cough and sniffles.

By Wednesday, Kale was running a fever, Maile was still home from school with the fever that refused to go away and still had that nasty cough. I called the doctor and had to take Kale in. Kathy (my mother-in-law) went with me (which proved to be a gift from Heaven later on as I endured a Walmart trip from Hell). Kale had his nose swabbed and about fifteen minutes later his doctor came in and said Kale had the swine flu. And that Maile probably had it, too but if it's not treated within the first 48 hours then it has to just run its course (which was totally not my fault--I had called the doctor around three times during the week out of concern for her!!!). I called Mike to let him know because his work is super crazy about anyone getting this virus.

So Thursday--His work had him take the day off to get checked and sure enough---after two doctor visits (one questionable regular doctor and a surprisingly speedy ER visit for him and Maile) he tested positive for it, Maile with bronchitis. So Maile missed an entire week of school and now Mike has to miss an entire week of work.

Luckily, Kale was treated early and he's been doing great. Maile's doing better and looking forward to going back to school and doing all the things I wouldn't let her do all week for fear of getting even more sick or getting someone else sick. And Mike is feeling much better today than he has been the past four days (I think got the worst of it). Everyone is getting and feeling better and tomorrow is a new day.

And me? I'm looking forward to catching up on all of last weeks shows that are stored on my DVR ;)


Monika said...

I'm so glad you are all doing better. That scares the crap out of me, at the same time. This might be a stupid question... but do you know if the RSV shots help with the potential severity of the flu, too?

kimishoe said...

I feel like a moron because I can't answer your question! I don't know if the shots help or not. Kale had his RSV shot a week before he got sick if that helps any. I would just ask Cai's pediatrician next chance you get! This is the first time Kale has ever gotten sick, though. And honestly, we caught it so early that he never got too bad. Just a little cough and a temp--whew!

Hope you don't have to deal with any of this, though!

onemuse said...

OMG, I am sorry it hit you guys so hard. Crap! That must have been scary. Give the kiddos a hug from us. Hope everyone is on the mend soon. (((Hugs.))) We miss y'all.

sprinkles said...

Whoa, sounds like the flu bug hit your house pretty bad! Glad everyone is feeling better now.