Monday, February 9, 2009

Small world?

Every Monday Kale's Early Steps Intervention teacher, Mrs. Courtney comes over. Today Kale had just fallen asleep when she came over so instead we just talked about some things to do with him and stuff like that. Sometimes Mrs. Courtney talks about the other blind student she works with and has mentioned that the little girl also has light perception, but only when she walks up to a window.

Anyway, today she was talking about the little girl and I asked her how old she was, and she said she is almost three. Then I asked her what her diagnosis is, if she could even tell me. She said she couldn't remember the full diagnosis but she said the little girl doesn't have her optic nerves but her eyeballs/globes are present. And then she said that the eyeballs are very small. I immediately said, "That's Microphthalmia!" I'm not too clear on why she never made the connection before, but whatever. I think there is a separate diagnosis for the absence of optic nerves, too. Anyway. She's good at what she does, so I'm not complaining.

Also, she said the little girl is currently wearing conformers/expanders but is getting prosthetics soon.

I asked her if there was any way we could meet the family or communicate with them somehow, even if just by e-mail. She said she would check with her boss but she didn't think it would be a problem.

How cool would that be? We'd actually have someone who knows what we're dealing with. We could learn so much from them. Hopefully it'll work out, because I don't know how else we'd meet anyone in person who has the same visual impairment as Kale.

1 in 10,000 babies, you guys. Seriously. Cross your fingers we can meet them!

1 comment:

Monika @ Lovely Bookshelf said...

1 in 10,000 babies... and this family is in the area, too?? Crazy! I hope you get to meet with him!! (((hugs)))