Thursday, March 25, 2010

Busy Bees

We've been pretty busy lately. From appointments, birthday parties, festivals, to just random spring-like days--we've been keeping ourselves occupied.

Kale started visiting his OT (occupational therapist) about a month or so ago. So far, things are going well. It was taking him a good ten minutes or so to warm up to her, but now it's taking less and less time so that's good. He gets thirty minutes one day a week with her which doesn't seem like much but the time is utilized well. We go to her office for the sessions which is cool. She has this swing she sits on with Kale in her lap--it really calms him down when he's having one of his "Get me outta here" moments. She tries to get him to do other things while in the swing--in the pic below he's playing a little piano with self-made textured keys (we have one at home, too).



She is trying to get him used to touching different textures. The main focus right now is getting him to feed himself with his hands and with a spoon. Last week, out of nowhere he started picking up his little snack foods and eating them. I honestly don't know if I can credit his OT for that because we really haven't done much yet with her but she was very, very happy when I told her about it yesterday.

Twice a week, his TVI comes over. She sings and plays with him and talks with me about all kinds of interesting things related to the blind and visually impaired.


A few days ago she had us go up to the middle school nearby where she has a visually impaired student, Deesha, who wanted to give something to Kale. Becky (his TVI) and Deesha had made Kale some little texture shaped books. So we spent about two hours over there and Kale had a great time! So did Deesha who is such a smart young lady--with some amazing manners! She could teach us all a few things!




It really was great meeting another child who is visually impaired and getting to watch her use her cane walking through the school hallways. It definitely makes me feel a bit more at ease when I think about Kale's future in public school.

Spring is somewhat in the air. I'd say at least one or two days a week we can get around without wearing a long-sleeved shirt.


We did get to go to an awesome Yo! Gabba Gabba birthday party for a friend's daughter. My friend did it all--and did such a kick-butt job. Here's a pick of Maile posing with Plex--which my friend made herself! How talented, huh?
All of the other Gabba characters were there--it really was such a cool party to attend (thanks, Diedra!).

Another cool thing we did this year, which I'm hoping is turning into an annual thing, was go to the Renaissance Fair. We went last year and had a blast. So we went again this year--and had a good time once again! I think my favorite part is watching Maile get her face painted and seeing the end result. Definitely better than anything I've ever done!







Oh! I almost forgot! Maile got her ears pierced! She did it on the 12th--the day before her birthday party. She had been going back and forth on whether she wanted to do it. It's been something I have always told her could be her decision. We have gone to the mall a few times after her telling me she wanted to do it, but then she'd get scared and decide not to do it. Which is fine--I didn't mind. But she finally did it! Here she is showing them off later that evening.





Yes, there were tears--but there was also a lollipop from the girls who did it (and she knew this from watching another little girl get her ears done before her) so I think that's what made her finally decide to do it. I was and always am very proud of her!


And finally--Maile is going back and forth on something else. Tennis. My 14 y.o. niece (who happens to have the same birthday as Maile) just started tennis so Maile wanted to, too. Until she tried it the other day. And decided she doesn't like to get sweaty. I tried to explain to her that she gets sweaty when she plays outside or goes to the park or the beach....I think she was just super grumpy and tired because she had just finished running in PE before getting out of school. So we'll see. Luckily, the sessions are pay as you go! Here are some pics my mother-in-law took (I was home with Kale).


Okay. Well, that should wrap things up for another week or so. We have Maile's spring break next week and Mike is off so we're going to try and get some quality family time in. I'm thinking the zoo, for sure. I wonder how Kale will do with that? He does have an appointment next week at UAB. Not really too sure what is going to happen with that. I'm gonna just avoid thinking about it for now.

Later, all!

No comments: